If you have both a MacOS computer AND an iPad, you can use the free / included software program "QuickTime Player" to share your iPad screen LIVE during a videoconference with students. The steps and video below show you how.
Preparation Part 1: Trust
- Plug your iPad into your MacOS computer with the USB charging cable.
- On your iPad, click TRUST this computer when prompted.
- In the computer's Finder, click the icon for your iPad and click TRUST.
Preparation Part 2: Authorize
If you are running the latest MacOS Catalina (10.15.3) you will need to authorize SCREEN RECORDING in System Preferences:
- Start a videoconference with your preferred platform and SHARE YOUR SCREEN.
- From the Apple Menu, select System Preferences, Security & Privacy
- Scroll down to SCREEN RECORDING.
- Click the lock in the lower left corner and login with a local administrator account.
- Click the box next to your videoconferencing application (Google Chrome for Hangouts Meet, GoToMeeting, Zoom, etc.)
- Open QuickTime Player software (from your Applications folder)
- From the FILE menu choose NEW MOVIE RECORDING.
- Click the "down arrow" to the right of the red record button in the center and select your IPAD NAME as your video source.
- Open your desired Whiteboard app or other iPad app and use your Apple Pencil / other iPad stylus as desired to draw and annotate as desired in the live videoconference.
TIPS: Be sure to rotate your iPad so it is in LANDSCAPE mode, not PORTRAIT mode. Resize the QuickTime Player window so it fills the screen.